A24’s science comedy “Everything Everywhere All at Once” took dwelling seven Academy Awards Sunday, together with greatest image — marking probably the most important feats for an arthouse movie in Oscar historical past.
Why it issues: The film additionally broke new floor for Asian illustration in Hollywood, with Michelle Yeoh turning into the primary self-identified actress of Asian descent to win the award for greatest actress and Ke Huy Quan turning into the second Asian ever to win the award for greatest supporting actor.
- “For all of the little girls and boys who appear like me watching tonight, it is a beacon of hope and potentialities,” Yeoh stated whereas accepting the award for greatest actress.
Of be aware: Movies from main studios that will sometimes garner the eye of Hollywood’s film brass got here up brief.
- Common Photos’ “The Fabelmans,” directed by Steven Spielberg, and Warner Bros.’ “Elvis” did not take dwelling any prizes.
- Paramount’s “High Gun: Maverick,” Disney’s “Black Panther: Wakanda Endlessly” and Disney’s “Avatar: The Approach of Water” every took dwelling one technical award for greatest sound, greatest costume, and greatest visible results, respectively.
Between the strains: Along with profitable the award for greatest image, greatest actress and greatest supporting actor, “All the pieces All over the place All at As soon as” additionally gained prizes for greatest enhancing, greatest supporting actress, directing and greatest authentic screenplay.
- Netflix’s “All Quiet on the Western Entrance,” a German-language movie, scooped the second-most variety of awards of any movie with 4 prizes for authentic rating, cinematography, worldwide function and manufacturing design.
The large image: The extraordinary Oscars acclaim of “All the pieces All over the place All at As soon as”‘ represents a shift in Hollywood over the previous few years in the direction of recognizing extra worldwide works and numerous expertise.
- “Moonlight” grew to become the primary movie to win greatest image with an all-Black solid in 2017.
- “Parasite” grew to become the primary foreign-language movie to win greatest image in 2020.
- “Coda” grew to become the primary movie with a predominantly deaf solid to win greatest image in 2022.
Be sensible: A24 took dwelling extra awards (9) than every other film studio Sunday, marking a big milestone in its journey from a fledgling indie studio to an business juggernaut.
- It was additionally nominated for extra awards (18) than every other studio throughout 4 completely different movies.
- Final yr, A24 raised $225 million to gas its growth. It was reported that the studio was exploring a sale for as much as $3 billion.
- “All the pieces All over the place All at As soon as” became its highest-grossing movie domestically final yr, The movie introduced in $73 million domestically on a $25 million manufacturing price range.
Extra from Axios: