Sunday, November 30, 2025
HomeA Must ReadTinubu Sends List Of Three Ambassadorial Nominees To Senate For Confirmation

Tinubu Sends List Of Three Ambassadorial Nominees To Senate For Confirmation

Published on

spot_img

President Bola Tinubu Credit: X/@aonanuga1956

President Bola Tinubu has forwarded the names of three non-career ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation.

READ ALSO: Tinubu Recalls All Nigerian Ambassadors, Exempts UN Permanent Reps

The nominees are Kayode Aare (Ogun State), Aminu Dalhatu (Jigawa State), and Ayodele Oke (Oyo State).

The letter was read during plenary by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio.

Akpabio has, therefore, directed the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs to review the nominations and report back to the chamber within one week.

This is the first list of ambassadorial nominees sent to the Senate by Tinubu since he became the President on May 29, 2023.

Ambassadorial Appointments, ‘Not Patronage’

There had been calls on the President to appoint ambassadors and high commissioners for foreign missions.

Concerns over the non-appointment of ambassors were reignited in the wake of the threat by

A former Nigerian External Affairs Minister, Bolaji Akinyemi, had argued that, despite internet access to information, diplomacy still required personal ambassadorial contact.

“I believe credible appointments should be made to the vacant ambassadorial posts. We need to fill them,” Akinyemi said during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today in September.

“The absence of ambassadors does not deny us information. But diplomacy runs on ambassadorial contact, the interaction between governments and ambassadors,” he added.

Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister Yusuf Maitama Tuggar speaks during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul (not in image) after a meeting at the headquarters of the German Parliamentary Society (Deutschen Parlamentarischen Gesellschaft – DPG) in Berlin, Germany, on May 22, 2025. (Photo by Tobias Schwarz / AFP)

The Federal Government had said that several Nigerian diplomatic and consular missions abroad were facing financial and operational challenges, ranging from unpaid staff salaries to mounting debts owed to landlords and service providers.

But while dismissing recent criticisms by the African Democratic Congress (ADC) about delays in ambassadorial appointments in June, the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Nigeria’s diplomatic missions remain fully operational and effectively represented by seasoned foreign service officers, including experienced chargés d’affaires.

“The appointment of ambassadors is a sovereign function—not a matter to be rushed for political convenience or partisan appeasement.

“President Tinubu, in line with his Renewed Hope Agenda, is committed to reforming the foreign service architecture to ensure that future postings are driven by merit, competence, national interest, and strategic alignment—not patronage or expediency.

“Nigeria is neither voiceless nor inactive in international affairs,” it said in a statement by the Special Assistant on Media and Communications Strategy to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Alkasim Abdulkadir.

The ministry, while acknowledging long-standing structural and funding challenges that predate the current administration, said that Nigerian diplomats continued to serve with distinction, often under difficult circumstances.

In September 2023, Tinubu recalled the country’s ambassadors.

He had earlier recalled Nigeria’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Ambassador Sarafa Tunji Ishola who was appointed by former President Muhammadu Buhari in January 2021.

Latest articles

I’m better suited to Bundesliga football – Super Eagles and Brentford midfielder Frank Onyeka

Frank Onyeka, Raphael Onyedika during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, WM, Weltmeisterschaft, Fussball Qualifier match between Nigeria and South Africa at Goodswill Akpabio International Stadium. (Photo credit: ImagoxShengolpixs) Super Eagles midfielder Frank Onyeka believes that his style of play is best suited for the German Bundesliga, Soccernet.ng reports. ​Onyeka spent last season on loan at

Chukwueze’s assist pivotal as Fulham secure 2-1 away win at Tottenham Hotspur

Please enable cookies. Sorry, you have been blocked You are unable to access soccernet.ng Why have I been blocked? This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word

Ligue 1: Monaco stun champions PSG 1-0 at Stade Louis II

Takumi Minamino scored the decisive goal as Monaco stunned reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) 1-0 in their Ligue 1 clash at the Stade Louis II on Saturday. The 30-year-old Japanese international, formerly of Liverpool, struck just past the midway point of the second half to hand PSG only their second domestic defeat of the season.

TotalEnergies reaffirm plans to groom players for Nigeria’s national teams from OML-58 area

Olivier Cassassoles, Deputy Managing Director, TotalEnergies, handing over the trophy to captain of the victorious Obagi FC. TotalEnergies has concluded plans to groom players for the Super Eagles and other arms of the national team. The talents would also be encouraged to go international in their football careers. The players are to be sources from

More like this

I’m better suited to Bundesliga football – Super Eagles and Brentford midfielder Frank Onyeka

Frank Onyeka, Raphael Onyedika during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, WM, Weltmeisterschaft, Fussball Qualifier match between Nigeria and South Africa at Goodswill Akpabio International Stadium. (Photo credit: ImagoxShengolpixs) Super Eagles midfielder Frank Onyeka believes that his style of play is best suited for the German Bundesliga, Soccernet.ng reports. ​Onyeka spent last season on loan at

Chukwueze’s assist pivotal as Fulham secure 2-1 away win at Tottenham Hotspur

Please enable cookies. Sorry, you have been blocked You are unable to access soccernet.ng Why have I been blocked? This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word

Ligue 1: Monaco stun champions PSG 1-0 at Stade Louis II

Takumi Minamino scored the decisive goal as Monaco stunned reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) 1-0 in their Ligue 1 clash at the Stade Louis II on Saturday. The 30-year-old Japanese international, formerly of Liverpool, struck just past the midway point of the second half to hand PSG only their second domestic defeat of the season.
Share via
Send this to a friend