Sunday, November 30, 2025
HomeA Must ReadGuardiola Accuses Man City Of ‘Playing Safe’ In Leverkusen Defeat

Guardiola Accuses Man City Of ‘Playing Safe’ In Leverkusen Defeat

Published on

spot_img

guardiola
File photo of Manchester City’s Spanish manager Pep Guardiola. (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP).

Pep Guardiola accused his much-changed Manchester City team of “playing safe” in their surprise Champions League loss to Bayer Leverkusen in midweek.

The City manager paid the price for making 10 changes to his starting line-up as the German side won 2-0 at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday.

Guardiola felt his players were too risk-averse as they slipped to a second successive defeat following last week’s Premier League reverse at Newcastle.

Referring to the Leverkusen defeat, he said: “We didn’t try. In football when you play on the green you have to try things and we didn’t try.”

He added: “I think they played not to make mistakes, not to play to do something, that is so difficult. In football you have to play offensive and you have to try… they played to be safe.”

Guardiola, whose team face struggling Leeds on Saturday, suggested the players who started against Leverkusen had lacked confidence.

“I have a lot of confidence in them, still right now I have a lot,” he said. “I have a huge value in what they are as football players, and that maybe is higher than (they have) themselves.”

City are still without midfielder Rodri for the Leeds game but Guardiola said the Spanish international would be back soon.

Guardiola’s men are third in the Premier League table, seven points behind leaders Arsenal.

AFP

Latest articles

I’m better suited to Bundesliga football – Super Eagles and Brentford midfielder Frank Onyeka

Frank Onyeka, Raphael Onyedika during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, WM, Weltmeisterschaft, Fussball Qualifier match between Nigeria and South Africa at Goodswill Akpabio International Stadium. (Photo credit: ImagoxShengolpixs) Super Eagles midfielder Frank Onyeka believes that his style of play is best suited for the German Bundesliga, Soccernet.ng reports. ​Onyeka spent last season on loan at

Chukwueze’s assist pivotal as Fulham secure 2-1 away win at Tottenham Hotspur

Please enable cookies. Sorry, you have been blocked You are unable to access soccernet.ng Why have I been blocked? This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word

Ligue 1: Monaco stun champions PSG 1-0 at Stade Louis II

Takumi Minamino scored the decisive goal as Monaco stunned reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) 1-0 in their Ligue 1 clash at the Stade Louis II on Saturday. The 30-year-old Japanese international, formerly of Liverpool, struck just past the midway point of the second half to hand PSG only their second domestic defeat of the season.

TotalEnergies reaffirm plans to groom players for Nigeria’s national teams from OML-58 area

Olivier Cassassoles, Deputy Managing Director, TotalEnergies, handing over the trophy to captain of the victorious Obagi FC. TotalEnergies has concluded plans to groom players for the Super Eagles and other arms of the national team. The talents would also be encouraged to go international in their football careers. The players are to be sources from

More like this

I’m better suited to Bundesliga football – Super Eagles and Brentford midfielder Frank Onyeka

Frank Onyeka, Raphael Onyedika during the 2026 FIFA World Cup, WM, Weltmeisterschaft, Fussball Qualifier match between Nigeria and South Africa at Goodswill Akpabio International Stadium. (Photo credit: ImagoxShengolpixs) Super Eagles midfielder Frank Onyeka believes that his style of play is best suited for the German Bundesliga, Soccernet.ng reports. ​Onyeka spent last season on loan at

Chukwueze’s assist pivotal as Fulham secure 2-1 away win at Tottenham Hotspur

Please enable cookies. Sorry, you have been blocked You are unable to access soccernet.ng Why have I been blocked? This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word

Ligue 1: Monaco stun champions PSG 1-0 at Stade Louis II

Takumi Minamino scored the decisive goal as Monaco stunned reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) 1-0 in their Ligue 1 clash at the Stade Louis II on Saturday. The 30-year-old Japanese international, formerly of Liverpool, struck just past the midway point of the second half to hand PSG only their second domestic defeat of the season.
Share via
Send this to a friend