Abidjan — South Africa claimed the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations third place play-off on Saturday, beating DR Congo 6-5 on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes.
It fingers Bafana Bafana solely their second ever AFCON bronze medal and first since 2000. South Africa triumphed after a dramatic shootout in Abidjan.
Each side rang the modifications following exhausting semi-final defeats. The primary half proved cagey with clear probabilities missing for both workforce.
DR Congo regarded livelier after the break as Simon Banza and Grady Diangana threatened. However wayward ending value them dearly.
Bafana Bafana additionally struggled to create openings till the latter phases. Substitute Mihlali Mayambela virtually gained it late on however fired over.
With penalties looming, South Africa held their nerve. After 11 excellent spot-kicks, DR Congo’s Chancel Mbemba crucially missed handy Bafana Bafana bronze.
The shootout reduction capped South Africa’s AFCON restoration after a poor begin. Coach Hugo Broos has moulded an thrilling younger workforce brimming with potential.
DR Congo will rue missed alternatives however can even replicate proudly on reaching the final 4. Their squad boasts even brighter issues forward.
Finally, South Africa triumphed to grab a uncommon second of AFCON glory. Their first medal since 2000 represents a significant milestone for Broos’ youthful facet.
This shootout success must be solely the beginning for Bafana Bafana’s abilities. With bronze claimed, South Africa can look to construct a legacy after progress in Cote d’Ivoire.
● South Africa completed on the rostrum of an Africa Cup of Nations for the fourth time of their historical past, after 1996 (champion), 1998 (finalist) and 2000 (third). Bafana Bafana have conceded simply three targets in seven video games at this 2023 AFCON, having conceded fewer targets in a single version solely of their first look in 1996 (2 in 6 matches).
Join free AllAfrica Newsletters
Get the most recent in African information delivered straight to your inbox
● That is the second time that DR Congo have completed fourth in an Africa Cup of Nations, after 1972. The Leopards completed third of their final two appearances at this stage of the competitors, successful on penalty shoot-outs in 1998 and 2015.
● South Africa is the primary nation to play three consecutive penalty shoot-outs within the historical past of the Africa Cup of Nations. Bafana Bafana have gained three of their 5 penalty shoot-outs on the AFCON, together with two within the third place sport (v Tunisia in 2000 and v DR Congo at the moment).
● South Africa have accomplished 87.6% of their passes towards DR Congo, their highest share in an Africa Cup of Nations sport since 2010.
● Simon Banza, of DR Congo, have recorded 12 touches in South Africa’s field, with solely Mostafa Mohamed having the next tally in a single sport throughout this version of the Africa Cup of Nations (15 v Cabo Verde within the group stage).