William Troost-Ekong broke the impasse from the penalty spot for Nigeria on the Stade de la Paix in Bouaké, however a well-struck penalty by South African midfielder, Treboho Mokoena levelled the scoreline.
Each groups struggled to search out the again of the online regardless of the sport being an exhilarating end-to-end encounter for all sides.
Soccernet.ng charges the efficiency of the Nigerian gamers as they sealed qualification to the ultimate of the AFCON 2023 match in Ivory Coast.
1. Christian Nwabali 8.5/10: The Chippa United goalkeeper’s efficiency at the moment will seal a spot within the coronary heart of Nigerian followers and their historical past books for a few years to return. The 27-year-old made 4 saves in 120 minutes to maintain Nigeria within the recreation after which raised the bar by saving two penalties within the shoot-out, displaying South African Ronwen William Hayden who the boss is.
2. Vibrant Osayi-Samuel 7/10: The Fernabache full-back made his second begin within the match this night, enjoying 119 minutes earlier than he was changed by Kenneth Omeruo. He put in a very good shift, finishing 91% of his passes and will have had an help for himself, had Osimhen’s aim counted.
3. William Troost Ekong 7.6/10: The PAOK central defender was colossal on the again for Nigeria. Because the crew captain, he stepped as much as convert the spot kick that broke the impasse, and confirmed his experience from twelve yards within the shoot-out as he despatched the ball into the highest nook, leaving the opposition goalkeeper no likelihood.
4. Semi Ajayi 6.8/10: The West Bromwich Albion defender was a risk for the opposition within the air. He was despatched up-front by Jose Peseiro a number of occasions to assist relieve Osimhen of a few of the aerial strain in assault. He received each duel he went into.
5. Calvin Bassey 6.9/10: Bassey was bullish on the again. The Fulham man was crushed a number of occasions, however he dug in and made positive he recovered the ball regardless. Like Semi Ajayi on the opposite aspect, Bassey received the entire duels he went into, showcasing his energy.
6. Ola Aina 6.8/10: The Nottingham Forest full-back was drafted into the left-hand aspect following Zaidu’s damage. He put in respectable deliveries together with his left foot, regardless of being on his weaker aspect. His scuffed penalty kick, nonetheless, is just not one thing he’ll need to keep in mind for a really very long time.
7. Frank Onyeka 7/10: The Brentford man performed 100 and two minutes within the centre of the park earlier than he was changed by Alhassan Yusuf. He regarded Jaded as the sport grew, however by no means shied away from going into tackles to disrupt South Africa’s play.
8. Alex Iwobi 6.5/10: The previous Arsenal participant didn’t have one of the best of video games tonight. He was taken off after 63 minutes as he couldn’t deal with the depth of the South African midfield. He had a shot on aim earlier within the recreation however went mute after, and that just about sums it up.
9. Ademola Lookman 6.2/10: The Atalanta man missed the golden likelihood to place Nigeria two targets up, however needed to attain in a spectacular style. In 100 and two minutes of soccer, he accomplished simply sixteen passes however created probably the most probabilities within the recreation. He was recognized as a risk by the South Africans and so they did properly in shutting him down.
10. Moses Simon 5/10: Identical to Lookman on the opposite aspect, the Nantes winger accomplished simply eleven passes, and never a single cross. He couldn’t beat his man, and was dispossessed method too many occasions. He was changed by Samuel Chukwueze a couple of minutes previous the hour mark.
11. Victor Osimhen 7/10: Osimhen’s shut management received the preliminary penalty for Nigeria. He examined the South African goalkeeper a number of occasions and thought he’d scored till his aim was dominated out as a consequence of a foul within the build-up that led to the aim.
Yussuf Alhassan 5.5/10: The Antwerp midfielder changed Iwobi and dedicated the foul that led to South Africa’s equalizer. He struggled to sit down deep and his instinctive runs to all the time chase the ball left some area in the midst of the park.
Samuel Chukwueze 6/10: His introduction introduced a little bit of spark into the sport for Jose Peseiro’s males as he performed a component within the preliminary penalty, however his decision-making price Nigeria a number of occasions.
Joe-Ayodele Aribo 6/10: The Southampton man got here on to exchange Frank Onyeka and stored issues tidy within the center. He didn’t supply a lot going ahead however was cautious in possession to keep away from any errors resulting in aim.
Kelechi Iheanacho 6.3/10: Iheanacho had his first minutes of soccer in Ivory Coast when he changed Ademola Lookman in additional time. He noticed his two makes an attempt on aim saved however confirmed up when it mattered by burying the profitable penalty within the shoot-out.
Terem Moffi 6/10: Moffi got here on for Osimhen within the remaining ten minutes of extra-time. He had an opportunity to attain however was tripped. He stepped as much as take the primary spot-kick within the penalty shoot-out and did properly beneath strain, sending the ball down the center from twelve yards.
Kenneth Omeruo: The Kasimpasa defender got here on within the remaining minute of the sport to exchange Vibrant Osayi-Samuel, however his spot kick was cooly positioned, leaving the goalkeeper no likelihood.